Anti-Catholic sacrilege in Equador results in official government apology

On Aug. 13, the president called Archbishop Voltolini “to apologize for the incident, especially because the Blessed Sacrament was in the chapel,” said Father Manuel Cedeno, a spokesman for the archdiocese.

The priest said that when he arrived at the hospital to visit patients last Friday, he was “surprised to see that they had taken over the chapel,” installing beds and removing everything that had been inside, including the ciborium from the tabernacle, which was in a pile with other sacred objects.

More from Catholic News Agency

Editor’s note: Too little. Too late. A deplorable lack of respect and anti-religious government abuse, coupled with clerical negligence. Why wasn’t the tabernacle locked?